- We discussed the importance of remembering and practicing the Rules of Composition.
- We discussed value and what it means in terms of the shades from dark to light.
- We practiced looking at harsh light and high contrast photos (mainly portraits) and using black and white as a way to start applying our understanding of value.
- Remember, you want to be the one to control the lighting and consider how to reduce too many values. This will help when we get in to more colors as well. We are training our eye to remove any unnecessary information and keep our viewers' where where we want it to be.
- Take photos in RAW and move them to B&W in post. Practice with contrast and depth of values.
- Identify 3 photos that you are happy with and upload them to your website in a new page titled Black and White.
- For an extra challenge, consider uploading a low-contrast, a mid-contrast, and a high-contrast.
- Have fun, and remember, you really need to get good at finding shadows, lighting, and understand how it interacts wit your subject's features to create a mood.