- We completed our Why Government? discussion.
- We watched and discussed Machiavelli's vision of the Effective and Virtuous Ruler.
- The issues we are discussing are not easy ones. The whole point of this class is to help you think of your place and others' in critical ways. We examine the thinking of others and consider how their thoughts and the thoughts of others have consequences in our current situation, as well as their place in history.
- Machiavelli had seen a lot before he wrote The Prince, and The Treatises. His experiences helped him shape his understanding of a 'good' leader. It is hard to dispute that 'good' leaders may often be met with 'difficult' decisions and moral dilemmas. His point was that a 'good' leader is effective and less concerned with 'moral' decisions. The goal of the ruler was to secure safety and prosperity for his/her subjects.
- Work on the discussion in Canvas titled: Effective vs. Good (kind)
- remember to submit your response, and then check back and challenge others at least 3 days throughout the week before Tuesday. Check to see what others have written to you and keep the discussion going.
- Check back by Friday morning (tomorrow) for the second part of the weekly assignment.