NOTE: Please note, this video, as pointed out in class, this video and this topic are not presented in order to change any opinions. The video is produced by a very left-leaning organization and that was made clear. This unit is designed to have students consider different philosophical ideas of thought and challenge current thinking to come to a more reasoned position, even if it is 100% in line with their current thinking.
- This week we discussed the political theories of economy surrounding capitalism and communism, as well as socialism.
- We discussed the influence of people like Karl Marx on socialist philosophies as well as those policies' use in the United States and other countries.
- We discussed the historical views of church/state politics as it relates to power and influence within cultures and governments, including the United States.
- Throughout recent history, philosophies that relate back to ideas of socialism are often not discussed, as they are often the discussions are often somehow linked to Cold War ideologies. Still, in the United States, we are not a purely capitalistic society and we have many socialist policies implemented. In fact, we generally follow Marx's 4 pillars of a socialist society.
- It is the balance between the ideas of socialism and capitalism that are what are often being referred to in politics in the United States today, so it is important to know the philosophies and how they work together or do not.
- Complete the Active Listening assignment in Canvas.