- We discussed the potential problems for the new president (whichever the country chooses).
- We took a look at political party platforms.
- We discussed the importance of Congress in limiting the Executive Branch.
- Remember, candidates promise far more than they can actually complete. They are not dictators and must always work with the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of government. This is a good thing, in that it limits branches' powers, but it also means that there will be a lot of broken promises and a lot of pointing fingers at others who are not 'cooperating.'
- This week you will be working through the State of Alaska's Elections information packets to learn how to find out information about different candidates and ballot measures that you would potentially be voting on.
- Being an informed citizen, whether you vote or not, is part of being able to be civically engaged.
- Download the State of Alaska Region II Election Pamphlet and complete the required exercise in Canvas. You will be asked to identify things like, what district do you live in, who are candidates in different races, and some other basic fact finding information.